Happy New Year! The month of December and January are always times of reflection. What did you like about this past year? What didn't you like? What are you going to do different in the new year? etc. This post is about BASIC habits every curly girl should know and keep!
(1) Rules for washing your hair:
- Use a wide tooth comb! This helps to reduce frizz while you're detangling. Be gentle with your hair while you're combing as well. Harsh hair brushing can cause frizz and split ends.
- Avoid drying your hair with towels. Towels cause unnecessary frizz. Instead, use a soft rag bought specifically for this purpose or use a t-shirt.
- Rinse your hair with cold water. I know this sucks when the weather is very cold but it helps lock in the moisture and reduce frizz.
(2) Avoid heat:
- Chemicals from hair coloring hurt our hair. Intead of the silky smooth and bouncy curls we had before they can become damaged, dry, and brittle. You don't want your healthy hair journey to become a hair recovery journey. Now, don't get me wrong...I think curly hair looks amazing with tasteful highlights. The difference is we can't color our hair as frequently as others would. It wears and tears our hair and becomes more of a chore to keep it well hydrated.
- Also, avoid flat irons and blowdryers. As stated before, dry your hair with t-shirts or air dry (air drying takes a lot more time but this way usually gives you the best result). When it comes to straightening your hair, do not do this often! The more often you do it, the more high your risk is to get curl damage. I straighten my hair 1-2 times a year.
(3) Don't wash your hair everyday! Doing so can make your curls loose it's natural curl pattern.
(4) Healthy ends, happy curls!
- Be sure that you're trimming your ends enough (once every six months is healthy). Trimming helps prevent split ends. When you trim your hair, you're not losing a great amount. Cut just above the curl that your hair makes. No more, no less!
- When you're applying your products, your ends should be the most saturated. Well nourished ends results in well nourished hair ;-)
(5) No Shampoo! Use a cleansing conditioner instead and when you rinse your hair massage your scalp.
Have a great weekend, everyone!